Pages

Tuesday 26 June 2018

English: Merchant of Venice - Act Three Scene 1-2




Act Three Scene One

1. I think it's because Shylock believes that Solanio and Salerio have a close relationship to Jessicca. Solanio and Salerio didn't report the disappearance of Jessica to Shylock           

2. Tubal says these followings lines "Well, other men have bad luck too. Antonio, as I heard in Genoa-" (Modern Text Translation) 

"He's had a ship wrecked coming from Tripolis.
(Modern Text Translaton)

3.  I think Shylock is looking for Lorenzo and Jessica because Jessica left with Lorenzo on a ship full of jewellery.

4. They plan to meet at the synagogue and their purpose is to take Antonio's heart because it's the deadline for the contract.

Act Three Scene Two

1. Portia wants Bassaino to think it through before choosing the casket because if he chooses wrong casket Portia can't have Bassaino's casket anymore

2. He doesn't choose gold because of a old tale involving this man called Midas where he touches everything will become gold even humans. For silver he doesn't choose it because it's the material coins are made out of and he thinks Portia worth more than just common coins and for lead I think he doesn't judge a book by its cover and it's humble.

3. I think she's trying say that when you get married to a woman, all the woman's belongings will be given to you now.

4. It depended on the caskets as well. I think what Gratiano is trying to say is that if Bassaino picked the right casket that means his fate with Nerissa would be getting married as well.

5. She sees Bassaino with a pale face while reading the letter

6. She helps by doubling or tripling the amount of ducats that Shylock needed for the contract or else Antonio's heart will be removed.

7. Because Shylock is really mad right now, having his daughter taken away from him and his money.

8. Yes I believe because Portia doesn't care about the outside of a man but the inside. Bassaino has a positive Attitude and he doesn't boast about how rich he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.