Pages

Monday 25 March 2019

Science - DNA Extraction Experiment

Aim: To suck the DNA out of a kiwi fruit

Method: 
- Using spatula, scoop 1/2 kiwifruit into bag. Add 25mL water + a pinch of salt.

- Mush until a thick soup.

- Pour over cloth into funnel into beaker

- Pour liquid into test tube. Add dish washing liquid + swirl. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.

- Tilt test tube on 45o angle and slowly pour 10mL of ethanol down the side. 

- Allow to sit.

Results:



What happened is that a floating looking cloud rose to the top of the test tube where the kiwi fruit juice/liquid was.

Discussion:
I think this happened because of the ethanol we added cause it freezes at a lower point of temperature making it wouldn't mix with the water and the DNA would rise to the top.

What actually happened: Water helped breaked kiwifruit apart. Salt helped clump the DNA together. Ethanol helped see it as it sits on top. Ethanol also has more density.

Conclusion: It was a cool experiment to be able to suck DNA out of a non living thing and I didn't know DNA was really visible at first.

Pictures:








No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.