Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2019

English - Show Don't Tell

For one of our new creative writing tasks we have to rewrite examples of things or objects using this Show Don't Tell thing.

What Does "Show Don't Tell" Means?

I think it means painting a picture in someone's mind without telling them the exact object or properties of that object.

You can also paint a picture with detailed words to make the picture in someones mind more detailed and they know what it might exactly look like.


Examples

The Buildings were Tall - The buildings looked like it touched the sky.

Sarah was really upset - Sarah's face didn't show any expression and she refused to talk.

She was so happy to see him - She couldn't hold back her smile and she was saying one thing after another.

The lake was beautiful - The lake's water was sparkling and the bright sunlight reflected off it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.