Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2019

Science - Making Indicators

For science, we are doing an experiment where we use various items to make acid and base indicators. We are using cabbage as our indicator.

Aim: To make acid-base indicators using everyday substances.

Equipment: Red cabbage, tea, beetroot, turmeric, cranberry juice, a beaker, water, tripod, Bunsen burner, gauze mat, 1.0 mol L-1 HCI and 1.0 mol L-1 NaOH.

Method:

For Cabbage and Beetroot:

Chop the cabbage into small pieces until you have enough to fill 2 cups.

Place the cabbage in a large beaker and add water to cover the cabbage.

Boil over a Bunsen burner for at least ten minutes for the color to leach out of the cabbage.

Filter out the plant material to obtain a red-purple-bluish coloured liquid. This liquid is at about pH 7. (The exact colour you get depends on the pH of the water.)

Place in a small beaker and leave to one side.

Repeat this method for the beetroot.

Results:



Discussion: I think what happened was we used the cabbage which was the indicator then use a squeezy thing or a pipette then we took a bit of the cabbage then put it on the other items such as tea and turmeric.

Conclusion: The experiment was a success I guess, but the aim wasn't really correct because I don't eat cabbage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.