Pages

Thursday 16 August 2018

Science: Experiment - Biuret Test (Protein)

This week at science we've been trying to see which food has certain nutrients. Today we did protein, we tested out eggs and milk. Some were successful and some didn't really give any results

Aim: To test if a sample of food contains protein

Equipment: Test tube, sodium hydroxide (NaOH), copper sulfate  (CuSO4), food sample.

Method

1. Place about 2mL of the sample into a test tube and add 5 drops of sodium hydroxide

2. Add 5 drops of copper sulfate. 

3. Shake the test tube gently from side to side.

Result: If the solution remains blue, then no protein is present. If the solution changes to a purple colour then protein is present in the sample.

Here are some pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.